This is just a quick guide to the history of Heslington Hall, for more details you can get a copy of the leaflet ``Heslington Hall, Introductory notes on the building and its owners''. This is published by the University of York printing unit, and is available free from Hes. Hall reception.
Although Heslington Hall dates from about 1565, most of the present building was built in the 19th century. The hall was originally completed about 1568 for Thomas Eynns, Secretary and Keeper of the Seal to the Council of the North.
It was rebuilt in 1852-5 for the owner, Yarburgh Greame. The architect on this work was P.C. Hardwick, who designed the Great Hall at Euston station. The staircase towers are among remains of the original house). The building and grounds were much admired, appearing in Country Life 1900 and 1909 (in City Reference Library, Yorkshire Room).
The Yew alleys in the gardens of Heslington Hall were first planted in about 1720. The bushes used to be pruned to the shape of chesspieces back in Victorian times. The sunken area near the modern lake used to be a mirror pond, reflecting the gazebo.
During the Second World War, Heslington Hall became the headquarters of 4 Group, Bomber Command.
By the 1960's the hall was derelict. The University took over the building as it's headquarters in 1962.
Campus building construction
The University Development Plan